A Northern Beaches story
Born and raised on Sydney’s Northern Beaches, Jason grew up in Belrose and attended Our Lady of Good Counsel Primary School at Forestville, before completing his secondary education at St Ignatius’ College, Riverview.
Having lived in Mackellar for more than 25 years, Jason and his wife Nichola are proud to be raising their young daughter in Collaroy.
Inaugural Speech to Parliament
Community work in Mackellar
Since 1996, Jason has been a director of the Australia Asia Young Leaders Program that organises incoming and outgoing delegations of young people involved in politics throughout Asia.
In 2008, Jason was elected as a Councillor on Warringah Council. Despite being part of a badly divided Council, Jason helped with a number of key Council achievements:
- Four budgets that reduced rates in real terms
- Clearing the maintenance backlog
- Increasing support for community groups
- Sound financial management that resulted in Warringah Council becoming debt free
While on Warringah Council, Jason held a number of key committee roles:
- Chair of the Audit Committee
- Chair of the Library Committee
- Chair of the Strategic Reference Group on Infrastructure
Jason led theses committees to:
- Improve budget reporting
- Create an accurate asset register
- Find procurement savings
- Properly map out a systemic plan for future infrastructure investment
Locally, Jason is a member of the Warringah Chamber of Commerce, Manly Sea Eagles, Dee Why RSL Club and Long Reef Surf Club.
Entreprenuer and Business Owner
In 2004, Jason was exposed to the aged care system in a personal way when some members of his family moved into their last home. While impressed with the care and compassion of the staff and operators, Jason was struck by the institutional feel of these facilities. After researching the issue, Jason found that the limited options available to providers in Australia meant they had not kept pace with developments across the world.
In 2005, Jason founded CareWell Health to provide a better way to deliver age care. CareWell is a designer, manufacturer and supplier of health care equipment and furniture.
CareWell grew to become one of the largest providers to Australian and New Zealand nursing homes.
Business and Government Experience
Insurance Australia Group (NRMA Insurance) (2000 – 2005)
Jason was employed to help with the IAG demutualization and $4 billion public offering. After its public listing, Jason worked for NRMA Insurance in its Strategy and Mergers & Acquisitions area. In this role,
At NRMA Insurance, Jason worked on a number of transactions:
- The purchase of CGU from Aviva
- The sale of NRMA Health Insurance and NRMA Financial Services to MBF
Later, Jason was involved in IAG's strategic investments in a number of south-east Asian insurers.
Credit Union Services Group (1996-2000)
Jason was a Senior Adviser in the Corporate Affairs Division and worked on:
- The Wallis Inquiry into prudential regulation of the financial system
- Commonwealth Law Economic Reform Program number nine
- The GST implementation group
Jason was a member of various advisory groups:
- The Australian Securities and Investment Commission’s review of the Electronic Funds Transfer Code of Practice
- The Attorney General’s implementation of the national privacy principles
Jason joined the Liberal Party in 1990 and held many positions:
- Vice President of the Sydney University Liberal Club
- President of the Young Liberal Movement of NSW
- President of the Young Liberal Movement of Australia
- Member of the Federal Executive
- President of the Mona Vale Branch from 2007 to 2009
- President of the Pittwater State Electoral Conference
In the early 1990s Jason worked as a media and policy adviser to Dr John Hewson, Barry O’Farrell MP and Joanna Gash MP. In 2007 Jason was the strategy director for Rob Stokes’ record win in the seat of Pittwater.
Jason holds the following tertiary qualifications:
- Masters of Business Administration from the Australian Graduate School of Management at the University of New South Wales
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Finance and Investment from the Securities Institute of Australia
- Bachelor of Agricultural Economics from the University of Sydney
Connect with me